1 c. peanut butter unsweetened and smooth
1 c. chopped dates softened in a little hot water
1/3 c. honey
1 c. finely ground almonds
1 c. roasted wheat germ
1 c. soy milk powder
3 Tbsp. apple juice
2 c. carob chips (barley malt sweetened)
- Mix together all ingredients except carob chips. (You will need to use your hands)
- Melt carob chips in double boiler or in a pot over low heat.
Form a ball out of first mixture. Dip in melted carob and place on cookie sheet. Repeat until mixture is used up. Chill in fridge. These freeze well and make nice gifts.
*(from the SilverHills Cookbook)
Hot Fruit Cider
2 litres unsweetened apple juice
1 litre unsweetened orange juice
1 litre unsweetened cranberry juice
4 whole cinnamon sticks
8-10 whole cloves
1 mandarin orange divided into sections
Place all ingredients in large pot or crock-pot. Heat over medium temperature and simmer for at least 30 minutes before serving.
2 medium yams
2 c. pineapple juice
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
¼ tsp. salt
1 – 14oz. can pineapple rings
6-10 frozen or fresh cranberries
- Peel and slice yam into ¼-inch thick rounds. Place in glass baking dish.
- Cover bottom of pan with water (approx. ½ cup). Cover dish and place in microwave or oven and cook until tender. (if using a microwave, bake 10 minutes on high)
- In a small saucepan, dissolve cornstarch in pineapple juice and add salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring often. Simmer until mixture becomes thick and turns clear in color.
- Garnish sweet potato with pineapple rings and cranberries. Pour thickened mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees F. for about 30 minutes.
Choice of: 1 head romaine lettuce (chopped), baby spinach, spring mix, kale, or combination of “greens” (approximately 8 cups)
1/3 cup fresh minced parsley
3 green onions, chopped
1 orange, peeled and cut into pieces
½ cup pomegranate seeds
1 cup fresh walnut pieces or halves
Dressing: ¼ c. olive oil
3 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp. honey or your choice of sweetener
¼ tsp. salt
- Mix dressing ingredients together well. Set aside in fridge.
- Toss together “greens”, parsley, green onions, orange, pomegranate seeds and walnuts.
- Toss salad with dressing just prior to serving. Serves: 8
2 c. raw cashews, ground
2 c. ground gluten or commercial gluten product such as “Yves Ground Round”
1 large onion, chopped
¼ c. chopped celery
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 c. dry bread crumbs
¾ c. soymilk
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch or 3 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. Braggs All Purpose Seasoning
2 Tbsp. chicken-like seasoning
1 Tbsp. dry parsley flakes
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into 1 large or 2 small lightly greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45-60 minutes or until brown on top.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving (or prepare the day prior). Garnish with fresh parsley and cherry tomatoes.
Juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons tahini
1 teaspoon almond butter
Water to thin it out to desired consistency
½ teaspoon sweetener
Sprinkling of chili pepper seeds
Dash of Herbamare and/or other spices
Mix well and pour over Quinoa Salad.
Better Than Ice-Cream Frozen Banana Ice-Dream
*Need a powerful blender for this recipe*
Ripe bananas, with some spots
Optional: Nut milk
Other frozen or fresh fruit
Peel ripe bananas. Cut into chunks. Freeze overnight.
Blend until smooth and creamy. Adding a little nut milk, if necessary, to help with blending.
Blend in some nut butter to give it a richer taste, vanilla extract, carob chips and/or frozen or fresh fruit.
The consistency of it is just like ice-cream!
This is a low fat, low calorie, naturally sweet, deliciously healthy dessert that’s got great Potassium, some Vitamin C, Fibre, Vitamin B6, and some Magnesium.
You’re not going to get any of that in regular ice-cream!
Italian Herb Dressing
¼ cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon onion powder
1-2 garlic cloves
1/8 teaspoon powdered mustard
Salt to taste
Blend all together in blender.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons flax oil
1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
Blend all together until creamy.