The following recipes were graciously provided by Beverley Edwards-Haines, registered dietitian, and bevHEALTH & Wellness.
Bev’s Chunky Hunky Baked Oatmeal
- 2 large apples, chopped in large chunks (or 1 apple and 1 pear)
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 Tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces (can use other favourite nuts)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups almond or other plant milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Oil a 10-inch bakeware dish with the coconut oil. Should be able to use less than the 1 teaspoon.
- Put chopped apples in dish. Add sliced banana. Sprinkle with some cinnamon.
- Sprinkle chopped dates and raisins evenly.
- Sprinkle a layer of half the oats. Top the oats with hemp seeds, chia seeds, pecans, and coconut. Sprinkle with some cinnamon.
- Sprinkle another layer of oats, using the remaining half.
- Mix vanilla and salt into milk, and pour mixture over the top layer, ensuring all of the oats are wet.
- Bake at 425 for around 40 minutes. Covering the dish half way through baking will keep the oats from drying out.
- Can be eaten as is, or served with milk or cashew cream.
- 1 cup cashews, rinsed, soaked for 2 hours
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup water
- 8 dates, soaked till soft or 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- Pour off and discard the soaking liquid from the cashews and dates.
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until creamy.
- May be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Creamy Alfredo Artichoke Sauce
Yield: 2 ½ cups
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked until soft, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water (divided)
- 1 tablespoon unbleached white flour or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Chicken-style seasoning*
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2-3 tablespoons marinated artichokes, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Place cashews in blender. Add 1 cup water and blend until very smooth and creamy. Add remaining water, cornstarch, chicken-style seasoning, onion powder and salt. Blend to combine.
- Pour blended mixture into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add basil, garlic and artichokes. Remove from heat.
- Ladle over cooked pasta and serve with steamed broccoli, etc.
* Nutrimax brand is available at natural-food stores